1. Using metal bond diamond tools, decontaminate the surface using either 60 grit or 120 grit diamonds. On a heavily used or ’dirty’ concrete floor, 60 grit diamonds may be required first to decontaminate and level out large differences in the surface. If this is the case, the requirements for floor flatness and final appearance need to be taken into account as this step will affect the aggregate exposure. A half set should be used to follow the contours of the floor when wanting to minimise aggregate exposure.
Note: Minimal/low-exposure aggregate floors will often have an inconsistent end-result due to the unknown nature of the aggregate dispersion in the concrete floor. This is almost always out of the control of the grinder operator as it relates to the finish of the concrete pour and needs to be made known early on to the floor owner. Minimal/low exposure will not be achievable on a broomed finish concrete floor due to the abrasive nature of the surface finish.
Combine the grinding process with Effidense filling compound as follows:
l. Wet the concrete to remove the ’suction’/absorption from the concrete floor.
ll. Apply Effidense to the floor using a broom. Approximate usage should be 5 litres per 25 m2 (1500 sq/ft per 5 gallon). Begin with 5-10 lineal metres (16-32 ft). only in front of the grinder to prevent the Effidense from drying out.
lll. While still wet, run the floor grinder machine with 120 grit diamonds through the wet Effidense. When using the floor grinder,set the Speed 600RPM. The Effidense will combine with the dust created by the 120 grit metal bond diamond segments and it will be forced into holes created by air-bubbles and extracted aggregate.
lV. Grind at operator speed to remove all remaining Effidense filling compound residue. The floor should appear slightly ’blue’ after completing an area. When using Effidense, work in areas of 5-10 m2 (50-100 sq/ft) until a feel for the process has been established, then allow the floor to dry before moving on to step 4.
2. Apply Effihard liberally with a very soft broom or sprayer. If spraying, make sure you follow with a broom to work the product into the pores of the concrete. Apply Effihard liberally so that the concrete is saturated but without forming puddles. Approximate usage should be 5 litres per 25 m2 (1500 sq/ft per 5 gallon).
- Once the Effihard has dried, a second coat may be required if the concrete is very soft and still absorbent. Again, spread out any puddling using a soft broom. When applying one coat to hard concrete or two coats to porous concrete, the floor should always appear damp/wet for 15-20 minutes after the application of EffiHard. If this is not the case, another coat is required.
- Allow Effihard to dry completely before moving on to the next step. A period of 6 – 12 hours is recommended as a minimum to obtain a maximum cure of the Effihard product. The curing time will vary significantly with extreme temperatures – in cold environments it will take longer and in warmer environments it will be shorter.
Note: We recommend the application of Effihard after the final metal bond step as the concrete is most porous after the metal bond diamonds. Effihard will penetrate into the concrete best following the metal bond step. This will ensure the hardest possible surface is achieved.
Note: We do not recommend removal of wet excess hardener with a squeegee or scrubber once it begins to gel off. For maximum saturation and hardening of the concrete surface, it is recommended that the hardener be left in contact with the concrete until completely dry.
3. Remove excess cured/dry Effihard with 50 grit NHD new hybrid bond diamond polishing pads.
- Apply a thin layer of Effihard with a microfibre applicator about 2-5 metres (5-20 ft) in front of the machine, ensuring that the dried Effihard has turned to a gel-like state. This will not only make the 50 grit NHD new hybrid bond diamond polishing pads more aggressive, but by reactivating any of the excess Effihard possibility of cured Effihard covering over the 120 grit metal bond scratches we want to remove will be minimised.
- If this thin layer is too wet when grinding, excessive wear of the resin bond polishing pads may occur. Ensure that any excess Effihard is removed completely. In its unreacted state, dry excess Effihard can cause the following problems if left on the floor:
- It will create brown/dark and unsightly patches in the floor when polished using dry resin polishing pads.
- If it comes into contact with water it will reactivate and become very slippery.
- It will cause dull patches or ’clouds’ in the finished product as Effihard will not polish up to the same degree as the harder concrete.
If the use of the 50 grit NHD new hybrid bond diamond polishing pads is unsuccessful at removing excess Effihard (this would be the case if puddling Effihard is left to dry/cure on the surface), use 100 grit NHD new hybrid bond diamond polishing pads in a semi-wet grinding fashion with water. Then move on to step 4 with 100 grit NHD new hybrid bond diamond polishing pads.
Note: When polishing concrete, we do not recommend grinding higher than 120 grit metal bond tools.
- The crossover from metal bond to NHD new hybrid bond diamond polishing pads is the most important stage of the polishing process as far as scratch removal is concerned. The longer the metal bond diamonds are used, the more chance scratches will be made in the floor in the metal bond step (as opposed to the diamond abrasive in the metal bond step).
- Resin bond diamond pads (generally) have significantly higher production rates than metal bond tools. The sooner you begin with resin bond diamonds, the more efficient the production rate.
Note: We do not recommend the use of metal bond diamond tools once the Effihard has been applied:
- Use of metal bond tools can remove too much of the densified surface, leaving an inconsistent end-result.
- Metal bond tools are more aggressive than resin bond tools and can create new holes/pits in the surface.
4. Continue the polishing process with 100 grit NHD new hybrid bond diamond polishing pads.
5. Continue the polishing process with 200 grit NHD new hybrid bond diamond polishing pads.
- There is no significant profit to be gained from applying an enhanced coat of Effihard after this step.
6. Continue the polishing process with 400 grit NHD new hybrid bond diamond polishing pads.
- You should notice a sharp refection developing at this stage
7. Continue the polishing process with 800 grit NHD new hybrid bond diamond polishing pads.
8. Apply 2 – 3 coats of Effiguard Premium Enhance penetrating sealer using a microfibre floor sweeper, allowing time to dry between coats. The floor should be fully saturated but without any excess to ensure all pores are filled. The use of
Effiguard is highly recommended to prevent contaminants from staining the floor. However, in some circumstances, and more so with the repair of previously highly contaminated surfaces, Effiguard will show up previous staining beneath the surface due to the concrete pores already having a contaminant in them.
9. Leave to cure fully for at least one hour or until touch dry and then buff off residual Effiguard sealer with nylon buffing pads.
Note: The surface can be ground and polished to tailor to different levels of exposed aggregates and non exposed aggregates and to high or low gloss levels by adding or omitting steps.